Just like you, we are always looking for ways to keep ourselves and our family busy and active as we adjust to the new normal of “Stay home. Stay healthy”. Every day we are giving you a list of 14 things to keep us sharp, in shape, stimulated, busy, or entertained during these unprecedented times. Do one a day for 14 days, or tackle the entire list at once. Just make sure to check back every day for something new.
During these unprecedented times, it’s vital to support our local small business owners. Let’s show some support to our friends and neighbors with these 14 ways to support small businesses.
- Shop Small – Whenever you can, choose your local small business over a large chain. During these times, let’s show support to our friends and neighbors.
- Pick Up a To-Go Order – Many restaurants are still operating in carry-out only capacity. Skip cooking tonight and pick up some food at your favorite local restaurant.
- Have Dinner Delivered – For those who want to stay home, many local restaurants are participating in meal delivery services like DoorDash, UberEats, PostMates, and GrubHub. Some restaurants are even delivering on their own.
- Always Leave a Tip – Remember, these business owners are working hard. Leave a tip whenever possible.
- Buy a Gift Card – Although you may not be able to use it today, buy a gift card to use once social distancing is no longer necessary.
- Promote Their Businesses – Use your social media to promote your favorite small businesses.
- Leave Reviews – Jump on Yelp, Google, and Facebook and leave testimonials for your local small businesses. Testimonials go a very long way in driving new business.
- Volunteer Your Talents – If you have extra time on your hands, see if you can help from a far. Some small businesses could likely use help with website design, social media development, or other promotions.
- Avoid Asking For Refunds – If you’ve already prepaid for something and you have the means to live without it, don’t ask for a refund. Instead, consider donating the funds to that business or ask for it to be credited to a gift card.
- Keep Your Ongoing Memberships – If you have the means to do so, continue paying for ongoing memberships and subscriptions, even if they’ve been temporarily suspended.
- Shop Locally Online – See if your favorite small business is taking online or phone orders.
- Schedule a Service For the Future – See if you can schedule an appointment for later. Knowing that they have business on the books for later can make a big difference for small businesses.
- Refer Your Friends – Spread the word and encourage your friends to shop small too.
- Say Thank You – Plain and simple, thank your local business owners. They work hard and a simple thank you will go a long way.
We know things are stressful right now, and you may be worried about your finances. We have solutions available through our Member Assistance Program, designed to support you. We have a range of resources, such as an Emergency Loan Program, Skip-a-Pay, and our Visa Credit Card special, that can help those who have been impacted.