Just like you, we are always looking for ways to keep ourselves and our family busy and active as we adjust to the new normal of “Stay home. Stay healthy”. Every day we are giving you a list of 14 things to keep us sharp, in shape, stimulated, busy, or entertained during these unprecedented times.
Do one a day for 14 days, or tackle the entire list at once. Just make sure to check back every day for something new.
Just because you’re staying home, doesn’t mean you can’t be active. We’ve created a list of simple ways to get moving with the whole family.
Here are 14 ways to stay active:
- Go for a Walk: Even with the “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order, you can still get out and enjoy the outdoors. Just practice safe social distancing and keep your space.
- Go for a bike ride: Bike rides are also a great way to safely enjoy the outdoors and get in some great exercise.
- Play Outside: a quick game of tag or hide-and-go-seek with the kids will surely get your heart pumping.
- Jump Rope: This is easy enough to do indoors or outside. Don’t have a jump rope? You can simply jump in place!
- Jumping Jacks: Just like high school gym class, this is a quick way to get your heart pumping whenever or wherever.
- Yoga: There are tons of yoga videos available for free on YouTube for all fitness levels.
- Kickboxing: practice your moves with air punches, uppercuts, and front kicks. Just watch out for unsuspecting furniture.
- Full Body Deck of Cards Workout: Grab a deck of playing cards. Hearts equal push-ups, diamonds equal sit-ups, spade equals squats, and clubs equals jumping jacks. Draw a card and do as many reps as the card says. For example, the Jack of spades equals 11 squats and the 8 of hearts equals 8 push-ups.
- Stairs: Do you live in a two story home, or does your apartment have a second or third floor? Run the stairs! See how many flights you can complete in 15 minutes.
- Plank: Train your core muscles by practicing your plank. See how long you can go!
- Burpees: You’ll remember these from gym class. This simple move is a fantastic way to work your whole body. The kids can do them too!
- Squat jumps: This is a great way to incorporate cardio and strength training. Simply stand with your legs shoulder width apart, squat low enough to engage your lower body, and spring up into a jump.
- Full body stretching: Increase your flexibility and range of motion by stretching your whole body for a few minutes every day.
- Work on Your Lawn: Spring is just around the corner. Now is a great time to mow the lawn, work on the garden, and get the yard ready for some backyard fun.
We know things are stressful right now, and you may be worried about your finances. We have solutions available through our Member Assistance Program, designed to support you. We have a range of resources, such as an Emergency Loan Program, Skip-a-Pay, and our Visa Credit Card special, that can help those who have been impacted.