We all love our four-legged friends and the Summer heat can bring unexpected challenges and dangers for them. The best way to protect your pet is to prepare for the heat and know how to keep them comfortable. That’s why we put together this list of tips to help you protect your pooch.
- Keep them Hydrated – Always make sure your dog has access to clean, fresh water throughout the day. If you’re taking them out for the day, pack their own supply of water and a water dish.
- Go for Walks During the Coolest Part of the Day – Aim for earlier walks or go later at night. Pavement gets unexpectedly hot on their paws – hot asphalt can even cause burns. Get out before the heat hits, or wait for it to die down.
- Keep Your House Cool – Use fans or an air conditioner to keep your home as cool as possible. Running your ceiling fans counter-clockwise will help a lot too!
- Never Leave Your Dog in the Car – Even if you’re only going to be a minute, never leave your dog in a car. On an 85 degree day, it only takes 10 minutes for your car to reach 102 degrees! If you know you will need to leave your car, then please leave your pet at home.
- Make Pupsicles – Freeze some dog friendly popsicles for those hot days. You can just throw some chicken broth in an ice cube tray for something quick and easy.
- Keep the Shedding Down – Keep your pup groomed and properly brushed to avoid overheating. A dog’s coat is designed to protect them from sunburn and cool their body, but it won’t work if their fur is matted or dirty.
- Get a Puppy Pool – Keep a little pool in the back yard for your pup to cool off. You can get a small plastic pool for about $10, and it will make a huge difference for your furry friend.